About Grilled Chicken on Charcoal Grill
You have a ton of options when you follow these steps of grilled chicken on charcoal grill. We’ll list them for you so you’ll have a good idea for how long you cook chicken on the charcoal grill. Also, you could cook corn on the cob on this grill while the chicken is cooking. You save energy resources, time, and cleanup. And you can try something totally different on the grill without BBQ Sauce such as this authentic Greek Gyro Chicken recipe.
Barbecued Chicken on the Grill
- 5 lbs chicken
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- Prepare grill and start preheating. Put raw chicken pieces in large mixing bowl.5 lbs chicken
- Add spice ingredients and soy sauce to chicken and mix thoroughly to coat all pieces1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper, 2 tbsp soy sauce
- On the approximately 375°-500°F heated grill, place the chicken pieces on indirect heat, and cover grill. Regular cooking temp will be about 325°-400°F. Adjust timings accordingly. Turn in 15 minutes and cover. In 15 more minutes, turn all pieces again, placing breasts on direct heat. Brush all pieces with BBQ sauce, and cover grill but watch closely. Turn breasts every 4-7 minutes until done, usually after 2nd or 3rd turn. Brush all pieces with BBQ sauce again about 10 minutes before breasts are done.
- Remove chicken pieces from grill and put into large bowl or sheet pan for serving.
Chicken with BBQ Sauce Recipe
This Grill chicken with BBQ sauce recipe can be made with or without BBQ sauce. It focuses on chicken with BBQ sauce and includes the timing of when to brush it with the sauce. It also advises with approximated times and when to turn the chicken over. Whether you cook individual chicken pieces, boneless chicken breasts, or a whole chicken/hen, this recipe gives you enough information that you can cook it on a grill and everyone will enjoy your outdoor creation. And, here’s some additives to BBQ sauce to consider.
Chicken legs on charcoal grill
If you choose to have chicken drumsticks on the charcoal grill, it will be cooked in about 30-35 minutes.
Chicken leg quarters on charcoal grill
If you choose to have chicken quarters (leg and thigh still joined) on the charcoal grill, it will be cooked in about 35 minutes.
How to grill a whole chicken on charcoal grill
If you want to grill a whole chicken, leave it always on indirect heat. It will be as if you smoke a whole chicken on the charcoal grill but at a higher temp than a smoker. The grill will be covered for the entire duration but lifted to turn over the chicken about every 15 minutes. You’ll start to brush it with BBQ sauce only after the first 30 minutes (just at the 2nd turn). After this, you’ll probably turn it 2 more times (and brush it again each time with BBQ sauce). Total cook time will be about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
What temp should a charcoal grill be?
For these cooking chicken options, it generally will be about 325°-400°F. This recipe’s times for cooking chicken in the various ways, were done with it averaging about 350°-375°F. You’ll need to extend times if it tends to be lower than that range. Everyone’s grill (and grill type) has a variety of heat temp recovery time whenever the cover is lifted and returned. With charcoal, you might even need to add some more briquettes (or lumps) during the cooking process. If you discover you’re having poor heat recovery, then you can consider extending the times between lifting the lid. In such cases, you’ll have to combine some of the instructional tasks to adjust for the reducing the number of times you remove the grill’s cover.
Here are some other grilling recipes you might enjoy.
It’s About the BBQ
Here is a salad you might like with this recipe
Nutritional Values of Barbecued Chicken
The nutritional values are shown in the <Print Recipe> option.