About The Buffalo Chicken Wings Air Fryer Recipe
While there are countless ways of creating Wings, this Buffalo Chicken Wings Air Fryer Recipe is a result of a number of years of narrowing it down to the best flavor, crispy texture, and being quickly made. This is part of our Main Courses Recipes Category.
How Goes With Wings?
How did Buffalo Wings get its name?
Like many great tasting, cleverly named dishes, there are several sources who reference the start of Buffalo Chicken Wings. It actually had an extremely long history being just Chicken Wings first. The start of chicken wings allegedly began in China by the chefs of an Emperor.
The 1950s Chicken Wings
Eventually, in the 1950s, Chicken Wings began to spread in a number of locales routinely but slowly.
Grocery stores gradually caught on and eventually started selling Wings separately. And they were very cheap so the lower income families focused on cooking them in all sorts of ways.
The 1990s Buffalo Wings goes nationwide
Then, in 1991-1994, the Buffalo Bills made it to the Super Bowl. And, as media covered this historic segment, they continued to do it four times in a row. During that period, it’s felt that more than 3/4 of the nation’s Chicken Wings (made in many ways) were in Buffalo, NY.
With the repeated media coverage during the Super Bowl for those years, Wings being so popular there, it’s felt that’s where the name shifted from Chicken Wings to be “Buffalo Wings”. And the most popular version was when it was dipped in a hot sauce. It then began appearing using the “Buffalo Chicken Wings” and eventually just “Buffalo Wings” name in fast food chains nationwide as they introduced it to their menus.
Although chicken wings used to be “dirt cheap” in the grocery stores, economics prevailed. The heightened demand caused the price of chicken wings to rise. So, by 2022, they cost close to or more per pound than chicken breasts.
Nutritional Values of Buffalo Wings
The nutritional values are shown in the <Print Recipe> option.
Buffalo Chicken Wings Air Fryer
- 1 Air Fryer
Tap to reduce/increase Servings
Keep Screen Active
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 4 lbs chicken wings commonly frozen in a bag
- ½ cup wing sauce Texas Pete brand or your favorite wing sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tbsp honey brown sugar or white sugar can be substituted and adjusted to your liking.
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking oil and place chicken wings on bottom of basket in a single layer.
- Set Air Fryer (or oven, middle shelf) at 360°F and cook wings for 15 minutes then flip and cook for another 15 minutes. To flip, you can shake and lift to Air Fryer pan. Cook additional minutes for extra crispy wings.
- While wings are cooking, mix together wing sauce, honey and melted butter until well blended.
- In a large bowl place cooked wings and drizzle sauce over the the top. Toss wings until sauce is evenly coated.
- Serve with our blue cheese dip recipe that goes with Wings and Veggies