Southern Cooked Cabbage
- Cutup ½ head of cabbage into large chunks and dice the onion.
- Heat up the skillet to medium-high and add the bacon drippings (or oil) to the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the cabbage chunks and diced onions to the skillet. and sprinkle the salt, pepper, and sugar evenly across it. Begin to cook and turn the cabbage initially to coat it with the melted drippings/oil and to distribute the spices.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, turning the cabbage a couple of times. If needed, add up to 2 tbsp. of water.
- Turn the heat down to medium and cover the skillet for about 3 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Again, if needed, add up to 2 tbsp. of water. Turn the cabbage once . Cover and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until done.
Resources of Southern Cooked Cabbage
Onions are optional. Vegetable oil can be a substitute for bacon drippings.
If you want to use bacon in this, it’s easier if you cut up 3 slices of bacon in pieces and then cook it. That way, you just add the cabbage and spices immediately after that.
Visit our ALL Recipes page for ongoing latest new recipes. And, you can click on <Vegetables> while there to see more tasty vegetable recipes.
Want to grow your own Cabbage? Click here to read about that topic.