Homemade Calzone Easy Recipe
Pizza Dough Ingredients for Bread Maker (or buy a lge 14-16 inch large pizza dough)
Calzone Interior Ingredients
- 1 lb pork sausage cooked, or 6 oz. pepperoni slices
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup ricotta cheese stirred well before measuring
- 3 tsp minced garlic or ½ amount if granulated
- ¼ tsp Red Cayenne Pepper or double amount if red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ½ tbsp basil
- ½ tbsp rosemary
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
Calzone Exterior Ingredients
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded (for top of dough only)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Serving With Marinara Sauce (or Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce)
Prepare the Dough (Perform only 1 of the following 2 options)
- Option 1 (you bought the dough): Sprinkle out some corn meal on the counter and unroll the pizza dough on top of that.
- Option 2 (you make the dough in a bread maker): Add the dough ingredients (in order) to the bread maker and set it to "dough" setting. When it's done (about 2 hrs.), sprinkle out some corn meal on the counter and spread out the dough on top of that. The shape can be about 14-16 inches across, round or oval.
Prepare the Oven, Stone
- Set to preheat the oven at 450o and, if using a stone, insert it now at mid-shelf.
Make the Calzone
- Cook the sausage and drain.
- Use a hand mixer to combine all the Calzone Interior Ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add all the Calzone Interior ingredients to ½ side of the rolled out dough.
- Fold the empty ½ side of the dough over to cover the filled (other ½) side. Firmly press the edges downward to seal together. Use water as a sealant, if needed.
- Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle on the parmesan cheese.
- Cut about 4-6 distributed slits across the top.
Bake and Serve
- Sprinkle some cornmeal onto either the pizza pan or pizza peel. Transfer the Calzone from the counter to the pan or peel.
- If baking on a Pizza Pan: Sprinkle some cornmeal onto the pan, transfer the Calzone onto it, and put the pan into the oven. If baking on a Pizza Stone: Sprinkle some cornmeal onto the pizza peel, transfer the Calzone onto it, and use the peel to transfer it onto the stone in the oven.
- Bake 16-20 minutes, until light-medium brown. Remove from oven; wait 3-5 minutes. Cut into 4 pieces for serving.
- Serve with warmed pizza/spaghetti sauce or a marinara.
- Great with coleslaw or tossed salad.
- Using the mixer for combining all the internal ingredients is a huge help as it’s a very thick mixture.
About Homemade Calzone Easy Recipe
This homemade Calzone easy recipe has a number of options that gives you different ways to create it each time.
Calzone Questions and Tips
Is there a difference between Pizza dough and Calzone dough?
Is a Calzone just a folded Pizza?
Why is there no sauce in a Calzone?
Q: Are Calzones fried or baked?
A: Either; however, baked is very popular.
What do they call a fried Calzone?
How do you seal a Calzone after folding over the dough?
How do you keep Calzones from getting soggy?
Visit our DarnGoodRecipes.com site often for the latest recipes.