Authentic Italian Sub
- 1 roll Sub Roll
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 slices deli ham thin slices
- 4 slices hard salami genoa
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1 leaf lettuce
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 1 slice onion diced, sweet
- 2 tbsp Italian dressing
- Cut the sub roll in half lengthwise. Pull out excess bread to allow for adding ingredients.
- Add mayo on both halves.
- Across the middle or on one half: Add ham, followed by salami, cheese(s), and then lettuce.
- Add the tomatoes and onions.
- Pour on desired amount of Italian dressing.
- Fold sub close and optionally, cut in half.
- Serve with chips and pickle spear.
About the Authentic Italian Sub
This is an authentic Italian hoagie recipe. There was an Italian family that moved to Fort Walton Beach, Florida from Italy. They opened a successful sub shop and ran it for many years, as it was considered a local staple. In the 1970s, they retired and sold it to a young American who later expanded it to a 2nd location in a nearby college town. I helped get it open and worked there for a couple of years as an assistant manager. It was there that I learned a few Italian recipes and their cooking methods. There are many unique ways that Italian families cook, just as Americans do. You’ll thoroughly enjoy learning how to make an authentic Italian sub , as it was their number 1 seller.
There are a number of stories and myths about who started the first sub sandwich. Click here to see a homemade sub roll recipe and to read about this sandwich’s beginnings.