About This Recipe of Sloppy Joe From Scratch
This is a special item that can be made so simply with some basic ingredients that nearly everyone has all the time. If you happened to not have tomato sauce but have tomato paste, you can use that and add in water to compensate for the amount of tomato sauce desired.
Easy Sloppy Joe From Scratch
- ¾ lb ground beef
- ½ large onion finely chopped
- 6 ozs tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp mustard
- ½ tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 servings hamburger buns or sandwich bread
- In a saucepan or skillet, on medium heat, combine ground beef and onions and cook until browned. Drain beef and onions well and return to pan.¾ lb ground beef, ½ large onion
- Whisk together in a small bowl ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce.6 ozs tomato sauce, ⅓ cup ketchup, ½ tbsp brown sugar, 1½ tsp mustard, ½ tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pour and mix sauce into ground beef and onions.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve on sandwich or hamburger buns along with some fries or coleslaw or both.
Game Day and Sliders
If it’s game day, it’s excellent on dinner rolls and acts like sliders. Here’s another idea along those lines. An alternate great finger sandwich to make are the real sliders, using an original recipe. Or, if you wanted, you can make this great tasting dip for Veggies.
What are good side dishes with Sloppy Joe’s?
Good side dishes for Sloppy Joe’s are French Fries, Baked Beans, and Coleslaw.
Why do they call it Sloppy Joe’s?
So many stories; so little time… In the mid-1900s, loose meat was popular as were any kind of fast food sandwiches. One source says it’s believed to be a cook named “Joe” who began adding a tomato sauce to his ground beef sandwiches. Another story is from an old restaurant’s messy floors due to the melted ice from their seafood they cooked and sold. And another story was about a Cuban named Jose’, who began to make a sandwich based on another type of sandwich, thus the Sloppy Jose’.
If you want to try another fast and easy sandwich, go for the classic BLT or a supreme, loaded one, as found here in our recipes.
Here’s some info on understanding further about lean ground beef and the percentages involved.