About This Recipe for Fried Chicken Strips
There are 6 ways to cook this recipe in this post and that includes fried, baked, and air fryer while using chicken that is raw or precooked. The specific recipe itself covers fried (thus the recipe name) and using raw chicken tender strips. This post addresses how to alter the recipe process for the other ways to cook.
There are many herbs and spices to attain this rich flavor. It’s a good idea to set aside a spice jar for easy usage for certain recipes like this one for speedy reproduction.
The processes of coating the chicken are very specific and are intended to be sequential. You can choose to marinate the chicken in the buttermilk mixture for a minimum of 1 hour to overnight. Regarding the flour mixture, you can opt to put the flour in a plastic food bag, add the chicken, and shake to coat them.
This southern recipe for fried chicken strips involves 3 facets:
- The herbs and spices
- The processes of coating the chicken
- The cooking of the meat
Southern Fried Chicken Strips
- 2 lbs Chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ tsp cayenne red pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar heaping
- 2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅔ tsp cayenne red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ⅓ tsp celery flakes or celery seed
- ⅓ tsp sage
- ⅓ tsp allspice
- ⅓ tsp oregano
- ⅓ tsp marjoram
- ⅓ tsp thyme
- ⅙ tsp basil
- Make the flour mixture and the milk batter in 2 separate bowls.
- Cut chicken into strips about 1-inch in thickness.
- Pour a very thin layer of oil into a fry pan and set the burner to medium heat.
- Dip chicken strips into milk batter, then into flour mixture, and into fry pan.
- Cook strips about 5-8 minutes each side, until cooked. Drain on paper towels and serve.
6 Ways of Cooking the Chicken Strips
- Pan Frying raw coated chicken: Follow this recipe, i.e., no waiting and the meat is raw during coating, and immediately fried in a pan. However, using this same method, you can opt to marinate the raw chicken in the buttermilk mixture as referenced.
- Pan Frying precooked coated chicken: You can actually boil the raw chicken strips in water for about 15 minutes, or until done. Then, follow the recipe’s process, except you don’t have to fry the coated meat for very long. The flavor is still good using this method and it’s handy for future usage of any pre-cooked chicken you might have or create. But, this recipe that uses the raw chicken strips does taste a little bit better.
- Baking raw coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated chicken pieces. Follow this by baking in a preheated oven at 425o F for approximately 25 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Baking precooked coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated precooked chicken pieces. Follow this by baking in a preheated oven at 425o F for approximately 15 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Air Fry raw coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated chicken pieces. Follow this by air frying preheated at 390o F for approximately 35 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Air Fry precooked coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated precooked chicken pieces. Follow this by air frying preheated at 390o F for approximately 20 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
What Goes with Fried Chicken Strips
Here’s a good recipe for a side dish of creamy egg potato salad or asparagus and tomatoes that can go well as something different for fried chicken tenders. Also, here’s a honey mustard recipe that’s perfect with dipping for chicken strips. And here’s another finger food recipe that can be put on regular buns or dinner rolls: Sloppy Joe recipe
Oil Sprayers aka Oil Misters help you reduce the amount of oil used on foods. They’re excellent for minimizing oils consumption and, therefore, help us eat healthier. While they aren’t quite yet there 100% function-wise, there are some that are good enough to consider for usage.
Tap here to read about the interesting origin of the chicken.
Fried Chicken Tenders Calories
The nutritional values are shown in the <Print Recipe> option.
In conclusion, this recipe for fried chicken strips is an absolute winner! This chicken is both crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. It’s seasoned perfectly with over 11 herbs and spices. There are six different ways to cook these chicken tenders, so you can enjoy them however you like best.