Southern Fried Chicken Strips
- 2 lbs Chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar heaping
- 2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅔ tsp cayenne red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ⅓ tsp celery flakes or celery seed
- ⅓ tsp sage
- ⅓ tsp allspice
- ⅓ tsp oregano
- ⅓ tsp marjoram
- ⅓ tsp thyme
- ⅙ tsp basil
- Make the flour mixture and the milk batter in 2 separate bowls.
- Cut chicken into strips about 1-inch in thickness.
- Pour a very thin layer of oil into a fry pan and set the burner to medium heat.
- Dip chicken strips into milk batter, then into flour mixture, and into fry pan.
- Cook strips about 5-8 minutes each side, until cooked. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Resources for this Recipe for Fried Chicken Strips
To read about the origin of the chicken, click here.
Here’s a good recipe for a side dish of creamy egg potato salad or asparagus and tomatoes that can go well as something different for fried chicken tenders. Also, here’s a honey mustard recipe that’s perfect with dipping for chicken strips. And here’s another finger food recipe that can be put on regular buns or dinner rolls: Sloppy Joe recipe
This southern recipe for fried chicken strips involves 3 facets:
- The herbs and spices
- The processes of coating the chicken
- The cooking of the meat
There are many herbs and spices to attain this rich flavor. It’s a good idea to set aside a spice jar for easy usage for certain recipes like this one for speedy reproduction.
The processes of coating the chicken are very specific and are intended to be sequential. You can choose to marinate the chicken in the buttermilk mixture for a minimum of 1 hour to overnight. Regarding the flour mixture, you can opt to put the flour in a plastic food bag, add the chicken, and shake to coat them.
6 Ways of Cooking the Chicken Strips
- Pan Frying raw coated chicken: Follow this recipe, i.e., no waiting and the meat is raw during coating, and immediately fried in a pan. However, using this same method, you can opt to marinate the raw chicken in the buttermilk mixture as referenced.
- Pan Frying precooked coated chicken: You can actually boil the raw chicken strips in water for about 15 minutes, or until done. Then, follow the recipe’s process, except you don’t have to fry the coated meat for very long. The flavor is still good using this method and it’s handy for future usage of any pre-cooked chicken you might have or create. But, this recipe that uses the raw chicken strips does taste a little bit better.
- Baking raw coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated chicken pieces. Follow this by baking in a preheated oven at 425o F for approximately 25 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Baking precooked coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated precooked chicken pieces. Follow this by baking in a preheated oven at 425o F for approximately 15 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Air Fry raw coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated chicken pieces. Follow this by air frying preheated at 390o F for approximately 35 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Air Fry precooked coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated precooked chicken pieces. Follow this by air frying preheated at 390o F for approximately 20 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
Oil Sprayers aka Oil Misters help you reduce the amount of oil used on foods. They’re excellent for minimizing oils consumption and, therefore, help us eat healthier. While they aren’t quite yet there 100% function-wise, there are some that are good enough to consider for usage. We went through about 3 different ones at the top and finally settled on one for about a year now. Still not perfect but works good enough to use. Some will require a pumping up action before you press the “spray” button or trigger. So, click here to look over the popular oil sprayers as shown on Amazon.