There are 6 ways to cook this recipe for crispy fried chicken strips. They include fried, baked, and air fryer while using chicken that is raw or precooked. This is part of our Main Courses Recipes Category.
About This Recipe for Crispy Fried Chicken Strips
The shown recipe itself covers fried in a pan and uses raw chicken tender strips. Right after the recipe, this article shows how to alter that recipe process for the other ways to cook. Keep reading to see all 6 ways! This southern recipe for fried chicken strips involves 3 facets:
- The herbs and spices
- The processes of coating the chicken
- The cooking of the meat
Recipe for Crispy Fried Chicken Strips KFC Style
This recipe for crispy fried chicken strips has a lot of spices that give you crunchy chicken strips better than KFC style results. Of the 6 methods, the best one to be better than KFC flavor is to use the method of raw chicken and frying it in a pan.
To save time in the future, make a bulk amount of the spices and put them in a spice jar or food storage container. You can use the Recipe “Resizer”. With it, increase it up or down to the desired amount of herbs & spices under the Ingredients.
6 Ways of How To Make Chicken Strips From Scratch
Below are 6 main ways to how to make chicken strips from scratch. With that, you can use the shown recipe select any of 6 ways to cook them. These involve frying in a pan or skillet, baking in an oven, and using an air fryer.
How to Fry Chicken Strips in a Pan
There are 2 ways of how to fry chicken strips in a pan. So, you can fry them with raw or precooked chicken.
- Pan Frying raw coated chicken: Follow this recipe, i.e., no waiting and the meat is raw during coating, and immediately fried in a pan. However, using this same method, you can opt to marinate the raw chicken in the buttermilk mixture as referenced.
- Pan Frying precooked coated chicken: You can actually boil the raw chicken strips in water for about 15 minutes, or until done. Then, follow the recipe’s process, except you don’t have to fry the coated meat for very long. Using this method, the flavor is still good. And, it’s handy for future usage of any pre-cooked chicken you might have or create. However, of all the methods, the recipe using raw chicken strips tastes a little bit better.
Crispy Chicken Strips Oven
There are 2 ways to have crispy chicken strips oven baked. You can bake them with raw or precooked chicken.
- Baking raw coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated chicken pieces. Follow this by baking in a preheated oven at 425o F for approximately 25 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Baking precooked coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated precooked chicken pieces. Follow this by baking in a preheated oven at 425o F for approximately 15 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
How Long Air Fry Chicken Strips
Hear are 2 air fryer ways and each shows you how long to air fry chicken strips.
- Air Fry raw coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated chicken pieces. Follow this by air frying preheated at 390o F for approximately 35 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
- Air Fry precooked coated chicken: Spray on oil onto the coated precooked chicken pieces. Follow this by air frying preheated at 390o F for approximately 20 minutes, turning once (and repeat spray on oil) half way through cooking time.
What Goes with Crispy Chicken Strips
Here’s a good recipe for a side dish of creamy egg potato salad or asparagus and tomatoes that can go well as something different for fried chicken tenders. Also, here’s a honey mustard recipe that’s perfect with dipping for chicken strips. And here’s another finger food recipe that can be put on regular buns or dinner rolls: Sloppy Joe recipe
Recipe for Crispy Fried Chicken Strips Calories
The crispy chicken tenders calories and other nutritional values are shown in the <Print Recipe> option.
In conclusion, this recipe for crispy fried chicken strips is an absolute winner! This chicken is both crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. It’s seasoned perfectly with over 11 herbs and spices. You’ve seen the six different ways to have these chicken tenders. So, you can enjoy them however you like best.
Best Southern Fried Chicken Strips Recipe
Tap to reduce/increase Servings
Keep Screen Active
- 2 lbs Chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ tsp cayenne red pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar heaping
- 2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅔ tsp cayenne red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ⅓ tsp celery flakes or celery seed
- ⅓ tsp sage
- ⅓ tsp allspice
- ⅓ tsp oregano
- ⅓ tsp marjoram
- ⅓ tsp thyme
- ⅙ tsp basil
- Make the flour mixture and the milk batter in 2 separate bowls.
- Cut chicken into strips about 1-inch in thickness.
- Pour a very thin layer of oil into a fry pan and set the burner to medium heat.
- Dip chicken strips into milk batter, then into flour mixture, and into fry pan.
- Cook strips about 5-8 minutes each side, until cooked. Drain on paper towels and serve.