One Dish Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1½ cups milk (or half & half for rich taste)
- ½ tbsp butter
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and sliced thin
- ½ lb ham cubed or pieces
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray with oil, a 2 qt. casserole dish.
Making the SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, using the SAUCE ingredients, melt the butter and stir in flour. Cook about 1 minute; whisk in milk. When it thickens into a sauce, remove from heat and set aside.
Making the CASSEROLE
- Using the CASSEROLE ingredients, in a small skillet, cook sliced onions in butter until onions are translucent and browned.
- Add Layer 1: Using just ⅓ of the sauce, spread it out across the casserole dish bottom. Layer on ½ of the onions, ½ of potatoes, ½ of ham pieces. Some overlapping is okay.
- Add Layer 2: Repeat using ⅓ sauce, rest of onions, potatoes, and ham.
- Add Cheese + Sauce Topper: Use final ⅓ of the sauce. and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 375°F middle shelf, uncovered, 50 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Let rest 10 minutes, then enjoy!
Resources of Best Ham and Scalloped Potatoes Casserole
This recipe shows you easily how to make ham and scalloped potatoes extremely simply. The flavor is a family favorite. Be prepared to serve seconds and not have any leftovers; it’s that good and is easily the best ham and scalloped potatoes you’ve ever served and enjoyed yourself. Check out below for some direct links to cornbread recipes (also easy) and they go extremely well with this dish.
This goes well with some cornbread recipes, as seen here. Visit our ALL Recipes page for ongoing latest new recipes.
See below for some best selling casserole carriers via Amazon, or here for a larger selection.