About Homemade Recipe for Fried Mushrooms
Having a great homemade batter is extremely important for a recipe for fried mushrooms. This recipe empowers you to have fried mushrooms twice as tasty as usual. Also, we have the equally flavorful and easy fried mushroom dipping sauce. I’ve used this recipe in 4 ways: the deep fryer, pan fried, oven, and air fryer. To me, the best has been pan fried, since it uses less oil than the deep fryer. So, that’s the method shown here.
Homemade Fried Mushrooms
Mushroom BATTER Ingredients
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow corn meal optional, white
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup water as needed (or more) if batter is too thick
- 1 large egg optional
- 1 pound whole mushrooms rinsed, dried, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Rinse mushrooms thoroughly, pat somewhat dry, cut into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.1 pound whole mushrooms
- Mix the Batter ingredients together in a bowl. Put all the mushroom pieces into the batter and mix them up to coat.⅔ cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup yellow corn meal, 1½ tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, ¾ cup buttermilk, 1 large egg, ⅓ cup water
- Heat the frying pan with the small layer of frying oil to about medium high.
- Place each battered piece into the pan until it's a little less than full.
- Keep the mushrooms separated and turn occasionally to brown reasonably well.
- As each piece is done, place onto the paper towel for draining.
- Can serve with a dipping sauce.
Fried Mushrooms Tips
- When preparing the grocery list for this recipe, also check needed items for the dipping sauce as well, e.g., “prepared horseradish”.
- When preparing to cook them, line up your items like an assembly line that leads not only into the frying pan, but also exiting to go onto the paper towels for draining.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, there are a lot of alternative workarounds as shown on here.
- During the cooking process, because of the batter overlapping, you’ll need to keep the pieces pulled apart. This will significantly aid in the turning over process.
Fried Mushrooms History
Are fried mushrooms American? According to some research, they’ve been found in other countries also. A historical origin from a single country has not been identified. However, there are several sources referenced regarding fried mushrooms history.
Angela Hursh has found an old recipe for fried mushrooms circa 1764. That recipe discusses cooking the mushrooms in water first. It then involves a basic batter and concludes with frying them in butter.
There is a little info on Fried Mushrooms on Wikipedia.
Nutritional Values of Fried Mushrooms
The nutritional values are shown in the <Print Recipe> option.
This southern recipe for fried mushrooms is one of those rock solid, reliable classics you can always have in yur own collection. I hope you enjoyed it. Please let me know your thoughts on fried mushrooms. I’d like to know. Leave a comment.
This recipe is listed on our Dinner Ideas for Christmas Eve article, where you’ll also see other traditional and non-traditional fun recipes for main courses, sides, appetizers, salads, and breads.
And, here’s the recipe for a good Southern, fried mushrooms dipping sauce that is designed solely for fried mushrooms.