About this Steak Fajitas Grill
You can use any of the recommended meats in this steak fajitas on grill recipe. Flank, Sirloin Tip, and Hanger Steaks are generally the more popular in grocery stores. We listed grilled flank steak for fajitas because of its more popular availability. However, “Skirt Steak” is the number one preferred so, use that one when available. I’ve had hard times and couldn’t get any preference a couple of times and had to resort to using ribeye steaks instead. And they were still excellent.
Steak Fajitas Grill
- ⅔ cup soy sauce
- ⅔ cup lime juice
- ⅔ cup oil vegetable oil (e.g., corn, peanut, or olive oil). Avoid sesame or coconut oil.
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar Alternate option: ½ tsp molasses per ¼ cup granulated sugar.
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic Alternate option: ½ this qty if using garlic powder.
- 2 lbs Flank Steak The meat preference is (in order): Skirt Steak, flank, sirloin tip, sirloin flap, hanger
- 2 medium Bell Peppers Cut into ½-inch wide strips. Discard inner contents and seeds.
- 1½ large sweet onions Slice into 1-inch wide sections. Separate into rings.
- 10 medium Tortillas, white flour small 6-7-inch. These are the white flour, soft ones.
PREPARING Meat, Vegetables, and Marinade
- Cutup the meat to ensure there are no pieces larger than about 1 pound.
- With the meat, cut some deep (halfway down), long slits (along with the grain). Place the meat into a bowl or plastic food bag.
- Add the bell pepper and onion pieces into the bowl or bag of meat.2 medium Bell Peppers, 1½ large sweet onions
- Make the marinade in a separate bowl and combine the ingredients well by stirring.⅔ cup soy sauce, ⅔ cup lime juice, ⅔ cup oil, ¼ cup dark brown sugar, 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 tsp black ground pepper, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Pour the marinade over the meat and vegetables. Seal the bowl or bag well and place it in the refrigerator. Let it set for 45 minutes to overnight.
COOKING the meat and vegetables
- Discard just the marinade.Place the meat pieces on direct heat of the hot grill. Due to the oil, it will flame up. Flip it over about every 1-2 minutes until done. You can opt to finish cooking via indirect heat (closed cover) after the 1-2 minutes on each side.It usually takes about 10-15 minutes total but cook it to your desired level. The meat will have a dark appearance (because of the soy sauce).
- When the meat is done to your temp/doneness, set it aside for about 10 minutes before carving. If you cook it to medium-rare, it will become medium before carving.
- While the meat is set aside, you can now cook the marinated vegetables. Cook the vegetables for about 5-ish minutes on direct heat at a medium high temperature. Consider using a perforated grill pan (or cook them on a stove).
- Bring in the meat and vegetables. Slice the meat into strips less than ¼-inch thick each. Cut against the grain this time.
- The soft tortillas should be slightly warmed (consider 30 seconds in microwave) Fajitas are now ready to be built!
BUILD the Fajita
- Here's the recommended sequence of items to go onto each tortilla. All add-ons are optional.– guacamole and sour cream are spread across the center of a tortilla.– 1 or 2 meat strips– Pico de Gallo mixture– Salsa– Vegetables (onions, 2 bell pepper strips)– Shredded Cheddar CheeseThen, fold (or roll up like a burrito) and enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FAJITAS
- While options are up to you, many will serve tortilla chips with salsa as a dip. I've heard of a few that will also have tomato soup.
Fajitas on Grill Recipe
This is a how to make fajitas on grill recipe. While it can be cooked on a grill outside, it can also be done in a skillet on your stove. This recipe is explained clearly. It’s so full of flavor, it will make you rethink about dining out. When shopping for these ingredients, this recipe calls for 2 specialty items and we have those recipes as well. They are Pico de Gallo and Guacamole. Feel free to get those at the store initially and then later graduate up to making your own.
After Steak Fajitas Grill
You’ll discover that once you make all of this in its entirety, and with the different cuts of beef, no one can challenge you in making steak fajitas on grill better than you! And, when you’re done with grilling fajitas beef, check out this great Chicken Fajitas recipe. Or, try this Ribeye Steak recipe on the grill that uses a great steak marinade. And for lots of veggies with meat, try this super Shish Kabobs on the Grill recipe or this authentic Greek Gyro Chicken recipe some time.
A Great Side Dish for Fajitas
Mexican Rice is always an excellent side dish for Fajitas. Here’s The Best Mexican Rice Recipe.