Uniqueness of This Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
This recipe is hearty and retains the small bits of tomatoes. Also, the spices are not an overwhelming amount. The degree and the selection of each ingredient is well balanced for that unique medley of flavors that taste individually but complementary. Also, it’s quite shocking as to how quick this can be prepared.
Tomato Soup Lover Recipe
- 1½ tbsp butter or olive oil
- ½ large sweet onion diced fine
- 2 tsp minced garlic or ½ amount of garlic powder
Post Sauté Ingredients
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour after sauté is done
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups Tomato Juice or V-8 Original Juice
- 2 medium tomatoes diced very small or pulse to be crushed using blender
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt optional or to taste
- ½ tsp basil or double amount, if fresh basil
- ½ tsp chicken bouillon granules
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp parsley flakes as a garnish
- Sauté the diced onions and minced garlic in the butter (or olive oil) for about 5 minutes at medium high heat.½ large sweet onion, 2 tsp minced garlic, 1½ tbsp butter
- Add in the flour and stir quickly to form a paste. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring constantly, emphasizing to also scrape the pan bottom.1 tbsp all-purpose flour, 2 cups milk
- After it comes to a boil, add in the Final Ingredients and stir frequently. When it's starting to boil again, reduce heat to simmer and serve.1½ cups Tomato Juice or V-8 Original Juice, 2 medium tomatoes, 2 tsp sugar, ½ tsp basil, ½ tsp chicken bouillon granules, ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper, 1 pinch salt
- Garnish each bowl with a small dash of parsley.½ tsp parsley flakes
- 2 fresh tomatoes can be replaced with 1 can (14.5 ozs) diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice (or V8 juice) can be replaced with 2 cans (15 ozs ea.) tomato sauce.
FAQ and Tips on This Tomato Soup Recipe
Can I run the tomatoes through a blender or extractor?
Yes. It’s easiest with something that does extraction, like for smoothies or other strong food processor. We use our large Nutri-bullet with about 2-3 short pulses.
Can I use canned tomatoes instead?
Absolutely Yes! Use 1 can (14.5 ozs.) for every 2 fresh tomatoes being replaced.
Can I make this without tomatoes?
Yes; just add in 1-1/2 cups (for every 2 tomatoes being replaced) of the tomato juice or V-8 to compensate.
What are some other additives I can use in this recipe?
You can add in some finely diced celery and carrots to cook along with the onions. However, the celery will take longer to soften and the carrots will take even longer than that. So, you might be adding about 15 or more minutes to cooking time.
And, you can add some homemade croutons from the oven onto this tomato soup.
What’s a popular item to have that goes with tomato soup?
There are a ton of preferences. Here are some very popular ones:
- Crackers, Crostini Garlic, or Bread, on the side.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches is a classic.
- Another good side item is a simple lettuce salad.