Uniqueness of This Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
This recipe is hearty and retains the small bits of tomatoes. Also, the spices are not an overwhelming amount. The degree and the selection of each ingredient is well balanced for that unique medley of flavors that taste individually but complementary. Also, it’s quite shocking as to how quick this can be prepared.Jump to Recipe
- Uniqueness of This Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
- FAQ and Tips on This Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato Soup Lover Recipe
- 1½ tbsp butter or olive oil
- ½ large sweet onion diced fine
- 2 tsp minced garlic or ½ amount of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour after sauté is done
Post Sauté Ingredients
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup half-and-half
Main Ingredients (in a mixing bowl)
- 1½ cups Tomato Juice or V-8 Original Juice
- 2 medium tomatoes diced very small; then mashed using pastry cutter-blender or other tool
- 2 tsp sugar level
- 1 pinch salt optional or to taste
- ½ tsp basil or double amount, if fresh basil
- ½ tsp chicken bouillon granules
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp parsley flakes as a garnish
- Sauté the diced onions and minced garlic in the butter (or olive oil) for about 5 minutes at medium high heat.½ large sweet onion, 2 tsp minced garlic, 1½ tbsp butter
- Add in the flour and stir quickly to form a paste. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring constantly. Stirring emphasizes to also scrape the pan bottom. After it comes to a boil, and then slowly stirring for about 5 minutes, pour in the half-and-half. Continue stirring regularly for about 3 minutes after it has come to boil again.1 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1½ cups milk, ½ cup half-and-half
- Add in the Main Ingredients and stir frequently to get to a slow boil. Cook for 7-10 minutes and serve.1½ cups Tomato Juice or V-8 Original Juice, 2 medium tomatoes, 2 tsp sugar, ½ tsp basil, ½ tsp chicken bouillon granules, ¼ tsp black pepper, 1 pinch salt
- Garnish each bowl with a small dash of parsley.½ tsp parsley flakes
FAQ and Tips on This Tomato Soup Recipe
Can I use Milk instead of the heavier cream-based ingredient?
Yes but, before adding in the milk, stir in thoroughly about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (for roughly every 3 cups of this recipe). It will prevent (or significantly reduce) curdling. You don’t need it if you’re using Half-and-Half or Cream because they won’t curdle when mixed with tomatoes like milk might.
Can I run the tomatoes through a blender or extractor?
Yes. It’s easiest with something that does extraction, like for smoothies or other strong food processor. We use our large Nutri-bullet.
Can I use canned tomatoes instead?
Absolutely Yes! If you do, just drain them before using.
Can I make this without tomatoes?
Yes; just add in more of the tomato juice or V-8 to compensate.
What are some other additives I can use in this recipe?
You can add in some finely diced celery and carrots to cook along with the onions. However, the celery will take longer to soften and the carrots will take even longer than that. So, you might be adding about 15 or more minutes to cooking time.
What’s a popular item to have that goes with tomato soup?
There are a ton of preferences. Here are some very popular ones:
- Crackers or Bread, on the side.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches is a classic.
- Another good side item is a simple lettuce salad.