Ham and Grilled Cheese Recipe Overview
The ham and grilled cheese recipe is of a gourmet source. What makes it so special are several things. For one, it uses alternating layers of ham and cheese. Another aspect is that it uses Swiss cheese instead of a classic American cheese. You can read more about Swiss cheese on Cheese.com.
Ham and Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli ham
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard or brown mustard
- Prepare each sandwich in layers with 1 slice deli ham, ½ slice Swiss cheese, and then repeat it for a 2nd layer.8 slices bread, 8 slices deli ham, 4 slices Swiss cheese
- For each sandwich, spread some Dijon or other brown mustard on the inside of one slice of bread and close the sandwich.4 tsp Dijon mustard
- Heat a frying pan to medium and enough butter for one side of each sandwich to start melting. Add each sandwich and use a spatula to move each around in the pan to get coated on one side with the melted butter. Then, add small slices of butter across each sandwich top.2 tbsp butter
- After 1-2 minutes, use a spatula to lift and inspect one side of a sandwich. When browned enough, turn each sandwich over to brown the other side. After 1-2 minutes, repeat inspection, and serve when done.
Alterations to this Recipe for Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
To have your best grilled cheese and ham sandwich, you will want to have some alternate options to make it match your own preferences. Here are some of those ideas for you.
You can use American cheese instead of Swiss cheese. And it’s not a good idea to mix the two cheeses in this particular sandwich. You can combine Swiss and Provolone cheeses, as those two work well here.
Also, if you’re out of Dijon or brown mustard, you can use regular yellow mustard.
Regarding condiments, you have an option to add mayonnaise to supplement the mustard or to replace it. Both are delicious.
Another option is to use a Rye bread or a marbled bread that includes Rye. That adds a good flavor when grilled in butter.
A final alteration of this recipe is to use ham, Swiss cheese, a bit of sauerkraut, and spread 1,000 island dressing instead of Dijon mustard. You can use a Rye, marbled, wheat, or other bread. This will give you a ham version of a Reuben sandwich.
Simpler Easy Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
If you want to make it even simpler, you can make an easy grilled ham and cheese sandwich recipe. Just use 2 slices of bread, 2 slices of deli ham, 2 slices of American cheese, and spread the inside with regular yellow mustard. Then, grill it in butter on both sides. You’re done in a jiffy and it has the ingredients that are more commonly carried at home.
Sides for grilled ham and cheese
The most popular, common sides for this grilled ham and cheese are potato chips and a dill pickle spear or French fries (no pickle). Another good side is tomato soup, shown below along with other good sandwiches.