This Recipe for Homemade Cheese Pizza is Unforgettably Best
Making this cheese pizza recipe is quite a treat for our family on pizza night. It’s a good break away from meat and the emphasis on the various cheeses is quite an experience for us.
- This Recipe for Homemade Cheese Pizza is Unforgettably Best
- Pizza Dough Options for Pizza Night
- Homemade Cheese Pizza Recipe Ingredients
- Homemade Pizza Recipe Summary
- Pizza Homemade Recipe From Scratch
- Pizza Dough Recipe Making and Shaping
- Which Cheese Used in Pizza
- How to Make Garlic Herb Cheese Pizza
- What to serve with cheese pizza?
- Looking for more pizza recipes?
- Conventional Oven Instructions
- Cheese Pizza Slice Calories and Nutrition Information
Pizza Dough (or use premade)
- 1 cup water warm from tap
- 2 tbsp olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2½ tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten optional for extra chewiness
- ½ tsp garlic powder optional
- ½ tsp active, dry yeast can be quick rising, instant, or bread maker yeast
Shaping Pizza Dough
- 2 tbsp flour on work surface
- 1 tbsp oil only for coating pan/sheet
- 2 tbsp corn meal or semolina flour, for reducing dough sticking
- ¾ cup Tomato-based Sauce Sauce Choices: tomato, spaghetti, pizza, Ragu, or marinara
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz provolone cheese or more mozzarella
- 2 oz asiago cheese or more mozzarella
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese grated (from shaker)
- ½ medium bell pepper optional: seeds removed, diced
- ⅓ medium onion optional: purple or sweet; diced
- 1 medium tomato optional: seeds removed, diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings or oregano
PIZZA DOUGH (or use premade)
- Make pizza dough homemade or make pizza dough using bread machine. If dough is already prepared and from fridge, let it sit out at least 30 minutes; if frozen, wait at least 1 hour.1 cup water, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 2½ cups bread flour, 2½ tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp active, dry yeast
- About 15-30 minutes before dough is ready to shape, START to preheat oven at 500°F with a shelf at 2nd from top level. If using pizza stone or pizza steel, insert in oven now.
- Shape pizza dough as needed for your pizza pan, baking sheet, pizza stone, or pizza steel. Only if using pizza pan or baking sheet: Spray or oil pan/sheet. Sprinkle corn meal on pan/sheet, place dough, use oil or water on dough, if needed to shape it. If dough needs more rest time, can prep toppings.2 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp oil
- Cut and measure remaining toppings and set aside.6 oz mozzarella cheese, 2 oz asiago cheese, 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, ½ medium bell pepper, ⅓ medium onion, 1 tsp Italian seasonings, 2 oz provolone cheese
- Only if using a pizza peel: Ensure peel and work surface has corn meal applied. Ensure pizza shaped dough is positioned (whether on peel or work surface), is movable, and transferable.2 tbsp corn meal
- When dough is shaped and ready, add your toppings using this sequence: sauce, all cheese(s), veggies, parmesan cheese sprinkled, and spices.¾ cup Tomato-based Sauce, 6 oz mozzarella cheese, 2 oz asiago cheese, 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, ½ medium bell pepper, ⅓ medium onion, 1 tsp Italian seasonings, 2 oz provolone cheese
- Transfer topped pizza (in pan/sheet or onto hot stone/steel) and bake it in the 2nd from upper shelf in preheated oven at 500°F. Baking TIME guidelines: pizza pan or baking sheet (18-21 minutes), pizza stone (14-18 minutes), ¼" pizza steel (10-14 minutes).
- Let cooked pizza rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
- If using a pizza wheel cutter to make pizza slices, cut from the center outward to the edge.
- If adding any vegetables you want to remain moist, e.g., spinach leaves, mushrooms, etc., add them after the sauce and before the cheese.
- Dough snaps back from trying to stretch it out: Handle it and stretch or roll out what you can. Then, let it rest 15 minutes, and repeat further stretching and rolling out. The longest wait time is 2 of these 15 minute wait sessions.
Pizza Dough Options for Pizza Night
You have several options regarding dough to use for pizza. You can use the store ready pizza crusts to roll out, the dough already made up in a ball, or you can make your own. The recipe has the ingredients for homemade pizza dough if you choose to make it. It also has links to making it by hand or using a bread machine, which is much easier. Let’s look over the entire recipe process next.
Homemade Cheese Pizza Recipe Ingredients
When planning this out to be perfect for pizza night, there are some times where brands of ingredients might be important. Pillsbury makes a good premade pizza rollout dough onto the countertop. If you make your own or use the refrigerated bag of pizza dough form the store, you’ll have a very good, chewy crust.
Homemade Pizza Recipe Summary
How to Make Cheese Pizza Step by Step
When you’re at home, preparing for the weekend, and you don’t have a pizza but want to make one, you can do it. The ingredients are easily displayed in the recipe. You basically need pizza dough, the sauce, the cheeses, and the spices. And the baking surface to use is a baking sheet, pizza pan, pizza stone, or pizza steel.
Pizza Homemade Recipe From Scratch
Here are the steps summarized visually for making the best homemade pizza recipe, which starts with making your own pizza dough.
- The first step is to make the dough. You can use store-bought dough and unroll it out, or make your own dough from scratch. If you’re making your own dough, be sure to allow enough time to make, which is mostly rising time totaling about 1-1/2 to 2 hours for the entire process.
- While the dough is rising, you can prepare your toppings, measured, and cut.
- Just before the dough is ready, you can start to preheat the oven and set aside the prepped toppings.
- Once the dough is ready, you can roll or stretch it out for shaping.
- You’ll add your toppings to the dough and transfer it into the oven, baking on your preferred pizza cooking surface.
This recipe covers some good options and notes for each type of pizza cooking surface such as a pizza pan, a baking sheet, a pizza stone, or a pizza steel. If you happen to have your own pizza oven, you’re best to follow those baking times instructions because you’re baking at a much higher temp than our 500°F oven, which is what our recipe follows.
Pizza Dough Recipe Making and Shaping
With homemade pizza, here are 2 separate recipes with details of how to make and shape the pizza dough. You can make it from scratch by hand or you can make it using a bread maker. If you use a mixer with a dough hook, you can decide how to modify the one from scratch, although no long kneading is required. Check them out for any details for your first few times in making pizza dough.
To prevent each type of pizza recipe from being excessively long, the basic pizza dough creation and shaping details are covered separately in their own recipes.
Note that each specific pizza recipe will still have ingredients for pizza dough. While they may or may not change from the base dough recipes, there might be one or more changes due to the type of pizza being made. So, it’s always best to follow the specific pizza recipe for its own dough ingredients listed. In the meantime, the below pizza dough recipes cover a very good foundation for making just about any kind of pizza.
You can make the homemade pizza crust from dough (it’s in the recipe also). And it uses a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and garlic powder to add flavor to the dough. Or, even these days, many grocery stores will sell pizza dough refrigerated in a 1 pound bag or, even easier, the kind that you just roll out and use on a floured surface. You can spread out some cornmeal (or semolina flour) under the dough to keep it from getting soggy on the bottom while you top it. If leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge, while shaping or kneading the dough, you can sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and a bit of salt that makes for a great flavorful crust.
Basic Pizza Sauce
You can buy it already made. You have a choice of sauces, all listed in the recipe. You can use pizza sauce, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, Ragu sauce, or a Marinara sauce. Grab it and just spread the pizza sauce onto the pizza dough.
The Pizza Toppings
So you top the sauce with cheeses, some cutup veggies (which technically could be optional) and spices go on last. However, if you were going to add pepperoni, those slices would actually go on the very last.
Bake This Best Pizza
You scoop the pizza from your counter and slide it into your pizza oven (aka Oven) and bake the pizza at the recipe’s suggested temperature. This is where you use your pizza peel to make transferring the pizza much easier.
Final Step: Eat it!
After the pizza is cooked on the middle rack and the crust is browned, you do let it sit for a bit to meld together. Then, oh my goodness! It’s easy to learn to love this baked pizza and its all kinds of cheeses. You’ve used some form of fresh mozzarella and have created the best hot pizza. You’ve made all this from scratch and you can enjoy reheating it for leftover pizza as well. If you love this pizza, you’ll be planning your next pizza night.
Which Cheese Used in Pizza
Whether you make a 1 cheese, 3 cheese, or 4 cheese pizza recipe, you have a ton of cheese options. Once you know what cheeses work well together for this main course, all that’s left are the amounts of each. Here are the types of very popular cheeses:
Cheeses added to Cheese Pizza. Ready for final toppings.
The top two preferred cheeses are going to be Mozzarella and Parmesan. The amounts of each cheese will present their own dominance over the pizza so, it’s a good idea to first be aware that Mozzarella cheese is typically the primary amount to use. You could even have an easy cheese pizza if you only used that one. After that, Parmesan cheese is a good secondary one. I use a shredded version for the main cheese but on other pizzas, I’ll use the pre-grated kind and will easily sprinkle it on. Other cheeses after that can vary extensively. Provolone is a common good addition. Asiago cheese is very strong so you’ll probably not want a great deal of that one. I will sometimes throw in a little Swiss cheese if to make a little change if I have some left over. I have found that most people (not all) don’t care for Cheddar cheese on a cheese pizza, unless it’s a hamburger or cheeseburger pizza theme.
Regarding bulk, shredded, or grated for cheeses, you can literally do what you want. The Classic Cheese Pizza will use the “torn” pieces from fresh, moist Mozzarella cheese. We generally use fresh cheeses but we also look for saving time. So, we buy shredded Mozzarella cheese in larger 4 pound bags, divide it up into smaller baggies, and store them in the freezer. But, we always have one in the fridge ready for immediate use. We also keep a block of Asiago cheese frozen. We’ll set it out for about 1/2 hour, shred some for a recipe, and then return it to the freezer.
- Mushrooms (sliced or diced)
- Bell Peppers (Green, Red, or Yellow)
- Black or Green Olives (diced or sliced)
- Tomatoes (diced, thin sliced, or sun-dried)
- Spinach (fresh, chopped)
- Extra Cheese
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Basil
How to Make Garlic Herb Cheese Pizza
When you want to have a little something special for your cheese pizza, just brush the dough with some olive oil to coat it entirely, including the border’s edge. The spread some minced garlic around the border and rub it in a bit. Follow this with sprinkling about 1 tsp each of Oregano, Thyme, and Basil across all of the dough surface. Finish the border with sprinkling about 2 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese and 1/2 tsp salt around it. The rest of the recipe is the same.
What to serve with cheese pizza?
Although you might not be thinking of having anything with pizza, as it’s so filling, you can consider some options such as these. A healthy simple green salad is a good choice. Sometimes, people will also serve garlic bread sticks. A warmed up dipping sauce is good for both the bread sticks as well as the pizza crusty edges also. That dipping sauce can be as simple as Ragu or a Marinara sauce that’s already premade from a jar. Sometimes, some simple cutup fruit is excellent like grapes or pineapple. Also good is a simple cantaloupe salad. Regarding adult beverages, some good choices are wine, light beer, Bloody Mary, and many others.
Looking for more pizza recipes?
Here are some more pizza related recipes and articles.
Conventional Oven Instructions
Depending on what you bake your pizza on (pan, stone, steel), you’ll place the pizza in the regular oven baking at 500°F. The timings are listed in the recipe for each type of baking surface you might use. You’ll remove it shortly after your cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
Cheese Pizza Slice Calories and Nutrition Information
How many calories in homemade cheese pizza?
Here are some calorie and nutritional values for 1 slice of cheese pizza.
In conclusion, making this homemade pizza with extra cheese is a great way to address pizza night with friends and family. With a few simple ingredients, using no meat, you can make a very flavorful gourmet cheese pizza that everyone will love. Why not try making this easy cheese pizza recipe at home?
And, on the other end of the spectrum, look at trying out this loaded Supreme Pizza.